It's been a while since I went out in the world to "make new friends." In Boston, when I would meet a potential friend, I would think about whether he/she might fit in with my schedule, life choices and kids. I was blessed with so many friends in Boston that I could make choices about following up on these types of connections.
They need a site here: www.anglofriends.com for those of us new to Jerusalem!
If there was, this would be my advert:
Nice Jewish couple with kids seeking nice people who speak English, aren't judgmental in the practice of Judaism, have room in their lives for more friends, are intelligent, funny, liberal politically and socially and are familiar with Americans -- and are looking for play dates.
This was composed while thinking about a few things:
1. My kids need friends.
2. We need friends.
3. Who is here longer than 3 weeks?
4. Who speaks English? (I'm still Hebrew-challenged, though I can give someone directions and talk about the rooms in my house, so that helps when making friends, right?)
5. Who is open enough politically and religiously to enjoy? (You have no idea...)
Truly, we've thrown out everything else except #4: do you speak English? o.k! Let's play!
I'm up for being set up with friends, taking on random strangers who seem nice, and even contacting friends of friends, which I've done. It's kamikazee friendship dating.
Let the dating begin!
Saturday, July 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The biggest challenge is that I don't know anyone who still lives in Jerusalem. Come live in Modiin and you'll have an easy time of it.
it seems to me that Marci should have you guys flooded with friends. I don't understand with her connections why you aren't turning away the crowds and having to start getting really selective!
wow sounds crazy. we still love you here at home and miss you guys. our cats say hi.
You should be friends with Jonathan, who is living for an indeterminate amount of time in Jerusalem. You might already know him.
I would hook you up with people from my company with young kids who speak English, but I can't, because they all live in Modi'in.
Post a Comment