Friday, July 20, 2007

A wonderful connection

Someone once told me that you should be kind to everyone because you never know when you're going to see them again or what the future will bring.

I was reminded of that tonight when we had Friday night dinner with Nurit and Amitai Bar-Kol. In 1985, my parent's hosted an Israeli Scout who was in Boston for four months. At the same time, my sister Gila had gone to Jerusalem as part of Young Judaea Year Course, so the two families did a sort of child swap.

Over the years, the two families have kept in contact. When Gila was living here, I think the Bar-Kol's took on the role of adopted parents to her. And now, I think they are doing that for us. And it's wonderful. This is the third time we've been there for a meal, and each time, we have a great time. Tonight was especially nice because Debra got a chance to practice her Hebrew, and I was again impressed with how much she has learned so quickly.

One of the best parts is how comfortable the kids feel there. When we walked in, I asked Siliva if she wanted to play, and off she went to the play room and started to pull out toys. When we were leaving and Silvia wanted a hand on the steps, Amitai held out his hand and she took it and walked hand in hand with him all the way to the car. Miriam at one point decided to try buckling the booster seat herself. I watched Nurit, as she was sitting next to Miriam, do nothing but give encouragement, clapping and saying "kol hakavod" "good work" once Miriam buckled it. Nurit, ever the surrogate grandmother, undid the buckle for Miriam to work on again. And again. And again...

It's a great connection for us, and a wonderful place for the kids. And who would have thought that when my parents made a decision 22 years ago to open their house, it would have such long term manifestations.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we just got our own blog updated and now I am catching up on everyone else. I am so loving reading this. You guys have a great sense of humor that reads so great even from so far away. I am glad you guys are meeting more people and getting settled. The apartment sounds like a nightmare though with one thing after another!