Bar Ilan. After much hang-wringing and overthinking, I've decided to put my feet into the water and go to Bar Ilan University's International MBA program. As you know from a prior post, I was unimpressed with the one class that I viewed, and the students didn't seem so thrilled about the program either. After that, I spent a few weeks looking at all the MBA programs in English in the area, and found only one other that was reasonable to commute to from Jerusalem, IDC Herzliya's MBA program. The Tel Aviv University one looks great, but you have to be sponsored by a company to go -- it's for "executives." So, I appled to IDC and...much to my dissapointment, did not get in. That sent me back to the hand-wringing and overthinking.
Ultimately, I think an MBA is better than no MBA, and I should go for it. I will learn about business -- certainly more than I knew going into the program -- and it will give me the Master's degree that, hopefully, helps me move into the FOR-profit side of the working world. I believe that the program will also give me the skills I need to do one of the following well for work:
aMarketing (not sure what, just have an affinity towards it when I taught business plan development)
aConsulting
aStart my own business (not that I need an MBA for that --- maybe just the confidence!)
I've found some really cool consulting firms here in Israel that consult to social entrepreneurs. I'm hoping that Bar Ilan can introduce me to some people who work at these types of firms, and I can explore an externship or internship with them as well.
Anyway, that's my decision, for those of you who were wondering.
I start clases August 1st. For those of you who know me as the math whiz that I am, you'll appreciate that I already have a calculus tutor lined up for August 8th. I asked her about her experience tutoring "difficult" students, and she replied, "I taught AP Calculus in New York City." Enough said!
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
just seeing the word "calculus" gives me the willies....but i know you will do great, will make some wonderful friends, and wish you the best of luck on august 1! always love reading about your adventure.....
Post a Comment