Tonight we decided to go to shul (synagogue) for Friday night Shabbat services. After all, we are living in a Jewish state, and it seems the thing to do. Plus, we had to join the shul in order to for Silvie to attend their pre-school. It is a conservative/reform shul that has an extremely large Anglo membership. Sounds like it could be a fit. Also, we need friends.
It was the first time we took the girls to synagogue, really. They went for a short time on Yom Kippur, but not for a shabbat service. Try explaining to a 3 year old what people will be doing there: "Well, there will be a lot of people singing. And some will be saying things to themselves. And everyone will be reading from a book. And people will be doing something called praying. And you need to talk quietly." Yea, that makes a lot of sense, I imagine. But she was GREAT.
The service was almost all singing. There was a lot of real sprit and joy in the singing, and I loved it. Silvie loves songs and sat and enjoyed them for a good long time. She brought her own book (Peter and the Wolf) and read it while the adults were reading in the prayer book. Miriam was also great- just hanging out with Mr. Rabbit and her thumb for a long time, until she got antsy. About two-thirds of the way through I left with the girls to hang out outside, with other parents doing the same. The community of people seem very warm and welcoming. I felt as though, I could have been in Boston, or Houston, or Great Neck, or Berkeley, because all I heard in conversation was English. Mostly American, some British.
We saw some parents from Silvie's pre-school, and one of the kids, as well. I truly enjoyed it, and Aaron did as well. We will be back.
The other highlight of the evening was meeting new family! I recently found out that a cousin (third, I think) of mine lives in the area and is a member of this shul. I couldn't wait to meet him and his family. They could not have been more delightful! We quickly dispensed with awkward introductions and began talking about getting our families together another time. I got a wonderful feeling about him and look forward to getting to know him and hearing stories about my relatives from the "lost" branch of the family.
It does feel like someone is looking out for us. I'll take it all!
Friday, July 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment