Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My Grandfather Had A Boyfriend

Our friends from Boston just arrived with their 8-month old son. They are here for a year since one is starting the Hebrew Union College rabbinical program and all students spend their first year in Jerusalem. We are so excited to have them here!

Our friends are a same-sex couple and looking for daycare for their son. We suggested the same daycare as Miriam's. It would be close to their house -- and wouldn't it be convenient if we needed the other to pickup a kid, etc? Yes, we should ask if there is space. However, Aaron pointed out that Miriam's daycare is run by a woman who is Modern Orthodox/"religious," and so are all her assistants. Hmm, we all wondered, how open would they be to a kid with two mommies?

So, the next day, I spoke with Gaby (the day care center owner/main provider) about a space. This is the how the conversation went:
Debra: Gaby, we have friends who have just moved to Israel from Boston with an 8-month old son and they need child care. Do you have an opening in August?
Gaby: Yes, we do, have them call me!
Debra: Well, the thing is, (son's name) has two mommies, and I was wondering if any of the other parents might have a problem with that...
Gaby: What???
Debra: Well, his parents are a female couple, and one is his birth mother.
Gaby: Oh....oh! What do I care? I wasn't religious until after I had my (son) Shlomi...I've seen it all!
Another parent, (religious,) who was listening then chimes in:
I think it's great! You know, my grandfather had a boyfriend. Let them come!
Gaby: He had a boyfriend? What do I care? What they do in their home is their business! Tell them to call me!
Debra: Great!

I have to say: you could have blown me away. I really can't begin to convey how it looked: a woman with head covering, 3/4 sleeve shirt, long skirt, modest dress overall, telling me about her grandfather and his boyfriend. It was not what I expected to come out of her mouth.

You just can't judge people by how they look. They may really surprise you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debra, this is most hilarious post. I sent it out to many people, all of whom fell over laughing. It's stories like these that make me love Israel so much.

BTW, a friend from my minyan is in Boston and going back to J'selem this weekend ... do you need anything from your house?