Debra writes:
I really, really want to get an MBA. As an "older student," it frightens me to go back to school, but it also excites me: I want to learn business theory and skills that will increase my earning potential, expand employment opportunities and inspire me.
When we were talking about coming to Israel for a year or two, I said to Aaron, "well, if I can get my MBA while I'm there, then it might make sense." I don't speak Hebrew, and what could I do with my time whilst in Israel otherwise? I found a few English MBA programs, but the only one within commuting distance to Jerusalem is Bar Ilan's "International MBA Program." I asked Israelis I knew about Bar Ilan, who all said that Bar Ilan is a good school with a fine reputation. I applied and was accepted.
Well, I visited the program this Wednesday to meet the administrator, current students, professors. I left unsure that I wanted to attend the program at all.
I sat through an International Economics lecture that was taught in an entertaining manner, but at a High School AP level. It seemed incredibly easy to me. Then, I asked the students what they thought of the MBA program, and 7 of the 7 I spoke with told me it was very easy, not challenging, and the professors don't care to challenge the students. Six of the seven told me they wouldn't take the program if they knew then what they know now: it's very easy, and essentially just a piece of paper. Several told me that IDC Herzilya is starting an English language MBA program this fall and suggested I look into this new MBA program (website is here) -- which I did.
After a phone call to IDC, I feel that they have developed a well-thought out MBA program, modeled exactly on their current MBA program (in Hebrew), which they have been running for many years. IDC has a fantastic reputation in Israel, too. I am interested in the Management track, as I think the courses sound more interesting. They have an entrepreneurship track, too, but I have to have a venture-ready business idea before I start the program.
So, here I am again, applying to business schools. Good thing I brought an extra copy of my official Emory transcript with me. Sadly, I have to write another b-school essay! Their deadline is July 1st, and I have to tell Bar Ilan by July 1st, so I'm actually hoping to turn around this whole application by Sunday evening. I'm told that once they have the application, they'll set up an interview right away.
The plus side of going to IDC: challenging program, learn a lot, feel prepared to be in the corporate business management world, older students. The downside: I'll have to work a heck of a lot harder for an MBA than I would have at Bar Ilan, and I'm 99% sure there isn't any additional name recognition in the US!
Thoughts?
Friday, June 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The name recognition of any program in the U.S. shouldn't be your primary concern. Get the MBA that will give you the best education first. Worry about selling that degree once you get home. Nothing would be worse than going to school and being bored to tears, and getting a meaningless degree.
Just my .02
Berger said:
I agree totally with Reuben. Its hard enough to make yourself go back to school, let alone motivate yourself when the classes are boring. As far as I have seen, name recognition does not mean that much unless it is one of the top 20 business schools. However, this post is after your application deadline, so my 2 cents are not worth the paper they are printed on.
Take care,
- Mike
Post a Comment