We had a lovely late shabbat afternoon picnic with friends today. Avram and Galit's older son is in Silvia's pre-school class, and their younger son just turned two, so both girls have playmates. Avram is originally from California and they are very sweet people. We had a great time wandering around the Rose Garden park trying to have conversations while we followed the kids around. Unfortunately, they are headed back to the states in October for a year and a half, so we're only going to get to enjoy their company for another few months.
At one point I pulled out a sugar-free apple cake from one of the local bakeries. I'd never had it before, but it looked like something good for myself and the kids. I gave Galit a taste while I was serving some to Silvia, then asked her if she'd like a piece. No, she said. And then, with a smile on my face, in my best yiddish mamma voice I said, "what's the matter, you don't like my cake?" "No I don't." she said totally straight. And that was that. Honesty is one of the things I (sometimes) like about being here.
Saturday, August 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is weird: your post is for August 5th, but I'm responding on August 4.
Ummm, I loved Silvia's birthday cake, really, I did! The raspberry topping helped. But sugar free cakes in general, big fat no. It's almost a matter of principal for me, that cake should be sweet, super sugar sweet. If it's not isn't it more aptly called bread?
:)
Did you know I used to teach business math, algebra, and STATISTICS at a business college? Not sure how much I remember, but. . . . Frankie
Post a Comment