Silvie was invited to a birthday party of someone's younger brother from her class, to take place at 5pm this past Monday. We were at the bus stop at 4:30pm, ready and waiting. But we didn't think about rush hour and how crowded the bus would be, even more so with our folded-up stroller, diaper bag, and of course, us. So, when we got on the bus, the only room for us was at the very, very front, standing next to the driver. Aaron actually had to stand one step down towards the bus entrance, I held Miriam in one arm, and Silvie needed a hand to hold onto. I was trying to figure out how I would balance myself and Miriam holding Silvie's hand on a moving bus, when a young woman said to Silvie, "here, take my hand." And Silvie did. Now, this is incredibly rare for Silvie to do, as many people know how shy she is. I said, "thank you so much!" and she smiled and said, "no problem." I asked her her name, and she said "Lihi."
The bus become more crowed, and Lihi moved with us as people pushed us forward onto the bus. When Miriam began to cry and try to get out of my arms, Lihi held up a small object for her to see and play with. Miriam gave her one of her "500-kilowatt" smiles in return.
Just as we approached our stop, I said to her, "do you babysit?" and she replied, "well, no, not really, but I really like your kids, yes." I said, "I don't have any paper, but take my name and number down in your cell phone and call me, please." So I quickly gave her my information, and said "l'hitrot," until we meet again. I hoped she would call.
She called last night. I didn't really expect her to call, either. Lihi is only 15 and has not babysat outside her family. But she has such a warm smile, and my kids took quite a shine to her. I know she'll be great with them. The kicker is, she was just visiting her grandma, and actually doesn't live near us. However, I know we were meant to meet her, and I look forward to watching her play with the girls.
And a night out!
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How very wonderful for all of you! Love,
Mom
Post a Comment