Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dispensing With Old Ghosts

Some of you reading this post knew me in high school. I worked really, really hard at math, but I was never any good at it. As many of my friends will attest, it just isn't something I "get."

Anyway, when I was younger, I was tracked into the "advanced" math courses, along with all of the other courses. By the time I was in 9th grade, it was apparent that I should not have been bumped up into those AP math classes. So, along comes my senior year of high school and, I'm not sure why, I took calculus along with all my friends. I wasn't a requirement for college or even high school graduation, but for some strange reason, I decided to take calculus.

I struggled. I had a tutor that I met with weekly (God Bless Mrs. Westmoreland.) I had generous friends who tutored me (thanks Fig! thanks Lori!) and I studied. A lot. But not much of it made sense to me. And, sadly, after a semester of "just getting by" on the exams, I actually failed the final.

That's my sad, horrible truth.

Now, 22 years later, I have to take Calculus as a pre-requisite for business school, and that scared the hell out of me. I shook when I thought about it. I still remember Mrs. Dubay, my old calc teacher, and she scared me.

But, if I want to get an MBA, I have to go straight through this point and ace it. I need an 80 in the class to be able to continue with the MBA program.

So, I hired a tutor, in preparation. (God bless Arlene!) I also began the class with the attitude that, as an older student, I have some advantages that I did not as an 18-year old. I know how to study, how the world works, and that if I try hard enough, I CAN learn this stuff.

Here is the litany of scary things that haunt me: logarithms, limits, growth rates, differentiation, and integrals. Any one of these items, in and of themselves, is scary, right?

The midterm (our only exam besides the final) was Monday. In preparation, I must have studied 8 to 10 hours reviewing the material and doing extra practice problems. I walked out of the exam sure I'd failed it, or at the least, gotten a 50 or 60 if he gave partial credit for how we worked the problems.

He handed us back our exams today.

The top of the exam said 92!

I am not joking: I started shaking. Was that right? The relief was enormous!

And with the 15-point curve, I now have an official "107" as my midterm grade. ( I actually got the third-highest score in the class, if I might brag for a moment...)

Good-bye scary Mrs. Dubay.

Good-bye scary Calculus Ghost of My Past.

A weight of 22 years has lifed.

4 comments:

Montana1 said...

Congrats, Deb. I had a similar grad school experience. I had to take a stats class. It was work, but I made it through. One of the secrets of life is to discover your strengths and weaknesses. As long as you recognize the weakness, it can be overcome.

Anonymous said...

MAZEL TOV!!!

Gila said...

YEAHHHH!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I remember getting one of the top three grades in my college economics class of a hundred students that I was sure I was going to fail since I didn't take the prerequisite class and had no clue about any of the theories or calculations before taking the class. I have never worked so hard in a class before and I think the teacher was as shocked as I was about my final grade! Huge congrats to you cuz!