Interestingly, my Spanish is improving. I feel as if the world is just sending me Spanish speaker after Spanish speaker to ease this transition.
Let's see:
Miriam's day care provider is from Venezuela, and most of her assistants are from a South American country.
I found a hairdresser by chance, and guess what? He's Argentinian.
Today, I met an older gentleman who lives in the building. He's asking me questions in Hebrew, and I finally said that I didn't speak Hebrew. Then he says, "do you speak Spanish?" Guess what? He's from Argentina, too.
Every day, I ask, in Spanish, about Miriam's day at day care. I spoke for an hour and a half in Spanish with my hairdresser this week...chatting about books we've read, life in Argentina, and why he moved here.
I love the espanol practice, but (not surprisingly) Hebrew has crept into my Spanish.
Last week at Miriam's day care, I said, "Miriam lo estara aqui manana, aval todo esta bien." Yes, I said, "Miriam will not be here tomorrow, but all is well." However, the words "not" and "but" were in Hebrew. I actually said to the hairdresser, "Anie tzricha un pelo corte, por favor."In Hebrew "I need" and in Spanish "a haircut, please." The funny thing is, he told me that he understood me because he's a native Spanish speaker, but I didn't even KNOW I was speaking Spanish. I was trying to speak Hebrew!
Maybe next week I'll throw in some German.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that is exactly what happened to me when I was traveling in Central America and surrounded by Israeli's. It was crazy to find myself combining Hebrew and Spanish in such absurd ways and my accent became such that everyone thought I was Israeli speaking Hebrew or else S. American. It was funny when I tried to speak straight English.
Post a Comment