Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Favorite Israeli Phrase

Last Friday, an acquaintance from our building stopped by to speak with Aaron about the building association. I was busy cooking several meals at once so to bring to different people's homes on Shabbat. As I've previously written, if people are "shomer shabbat," or keep/observe shabbat rules strictly according to old customs, then they cannot benefit from any food that is cooked on shabbat. Which, for me, meant that I had to finish cooking food for them before 4:30 Friday afternoon.

He obviously saw me cooking away, and also noticed Aaron's kippah. At some point Aaron said that we had to start getting ready for Friday night services, and he asked if we are "shomer shabbat." We replied that we are not, but we do go to services and observe some parts of shabbat. (Mostly, we don't spend money or turn on our computer, but this is by no means observing shabbat according to any religious people we know.)

After he asked us, I asked him if he is shomer shabbat. He replied, "I am shomer chiloni," which means that he keeps/protects a stictly secular/non-religious lifestyle. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

It's my new favorite phrase. I love that only here can you explain yourself by saying that you "keep the secular faith."

No comments: