Thursday, January 1, 2009

I'm Rock Star Famous (not really)

I started a professional blog. I'm still tweaking it and hopefully going to change the look of it very, very soon (thanks to Mimi talking me off the edge of the techno cliff!) Anyway, I started it because I want to get into marketing professionally, and I'm especially intrigued and interested in social media and social media strategy. So, what to do? Learn about it, use it, comment on it. Which is what I'm doing. I'm on delicious (check out my social media bookmarks), facebook, linkedin, flickr and even have a twitter name (but don't follow me 'cause I haven't tweeted a single tweet yet -- still sticking my feet in those waters.) And I follow a bunch of blogs to learn about social media.

So, what do I do? I think about where I might have some value. Hmm...I know
1. non-profits
2. community organizing
3. small/med-sized business consulting

I came up with the idea of consulting to non-profits on their social media strategy: how to use social media to reach engagement goals, which might include raising funds, getting volunteers, clients/customers, etc. I've offered my services to two non-profits thus far, and I'm working with them. I've volunteered to moderate a closed community forum (for online forum management/moderation experience) and I'm consulting to a really cool environmental website on their entire marketing strategy. Hopefully, this will result in a marketing job at some point. Hopefully soon!

Meanwhile, I started a blog. It's focused on non-profits and social media use, and incorporates a lot of my past professional organizing experiences into the posts. Social media owes a lot ot community organizing. I think that's what makes my point of view unique. When it's "ready," I'm hoping the blog will give me credibility in the social media and marketing world.

Today, I decided to dip my toes into the blogging world a bit by commenting on two peoples' blogs that I read a lot, and hopefully building some rappor. So, the short is that I posted on two blogs. One of them was so impressed with my post that HE TWEETED ABOUT IT TO HIS 11,000-SOMETHING FOLLOWING! Wow. Oh my g-d. I'm Rock Star Famous. Almost.

The blog is temporarily located at www.communityorganizer20.wordpress.com but I'll be securing my own domain name soon and changing the layout. I haven't told many people about it because it's not yet "ready for prime time." After Jeff Pulver's twitter mention, I immediately received 37 hits. Hey, for a blog that's received, on average...um...0 hits...I'm just so blown away.

Anyway, read the blog, please. Give me feedback. Please, please add comments. I'll be super-happy if someone comments! And if you have great blogs that I should follow, let me know on communityorganizer20.wordpress.com. I love suggestions of interesting bloggers.

I guess I am ready for prime time before...prime time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done! I really like your new blog and follow it now, too!