Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In the end, really nice people

So, continuing on my journey to organize our building's va'ad bayit, I spent two and half hours yesterday knocking on doors. I don't think I did a good job recruiting a new va'ad bayit, but I found that most people in the building are really nice. There is the elderly woman who lives on the first floor who has lived here since the 70's, and the Russian couple upstairs who have been here longer than we have, but their Hebrew is not very good. The french lady who lives below us who speaks no Hebrew or English, but who's daughter speaks both fluently and is really sweet. And the other French woman on the fifth floor who just had her third grandchild, though she doesn't look like she's much older than 50. Her youngest is 16 and still living at home. All of these people invited me in and were very happy to talk to me.

My disclaimer is that I didn't knock on the door of the crazy people on the fifth floor, nor the people on the fourth floor who have a bad reputation (and they haven't paid their condo fees for about a year). But everyone I talked to was very nice.

But for all of their niceness, all of them said they were too busy to help out with the va'ad bayit, so I'm not sure where that leaves us. My suspicion is that I'm going to end up doing it for the next six months or until we finally move to a bigger place. Or we may just hire someone to do it for us, as no one has the time - I hope they have the money to pay for it. We'll see how the meeting goes tomorrow night.

No comments: