Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Mouthful of Taste

Ahhh... the Sabich. This is one of the most wonderful, glorious, tasty foods I have eaten in Israel. It is, literally, a mouthful of taste. I have to give Aaron the credit for introducing me to this wonderful, incredibly filling treat; he'd been raving about it for months. But, late last week, we were in downtown Jerusalem together at lunchtime, and he asked someone local for the best Sabich place in town, and she directed us to a little hole-in-the wall on the street. When we got there, there was a long line (a good sign!) A man waiting just before us told us that this Sabich guy is "the master. He elevates making Sabich to an art form." And he did.

You are probably wondering now: what, exactly, IS Sabich?

A pita sandwich, filled, with tahina, hummus, fried eggplant slices, pickles, hot sauce, hard-boiled egg slices, cucumber/tomato salad, and "amba" a mango sauce. If made correctly, one should taste all of these ingredients in every bite. And mine was DEEEEELICIOUS.

Oh! I hope you get to eat one soon!

No comments: