Aaron and I have been talking today about how powerful our words can be. We started joking around: "funny that you haven't been offered a job yet" and other such wishes.
Here's what happened:
I joined a list serv that is for high tech professionals, mostly women, called Digital Eve. It seems to be an open, sharing virtual community. I offered to coordinate a Jerusaelm get-together later this month, depending on interest. There was interest, so I set a date and notified people on the listserv.
The next day, a guy emails me saying that he checked out my LinkedIn profile, and would like to meet with me. He thought we'd have stuff to discuss. After checking out his profile, I agreed. I was completely unsure why he wanted to meet, I have to say, but thought that it might lead to potential job connections.
I meet with him. He has a startup company that is looking to expand. He says, after a while, that "ideally, I thought you'd be interested in combining all of these discreet positions I have into one and getting in on the ground floor of a startup." I was absolutely flattered. Honestly, it wasn't much of an interview, and I didn't even know that it was an interview at the time! I told him I'd think about it.
I'm not terribly excited by the company, and I'm going to turn this flattering offer down. Always scary to turn down an offer, but I can't see being excited about going to work every day with this job.
We also spoke about me doing some strategic consulting to his business, and I would be interested in that. I wonder if what I do need, though, is to get in "on the ground floor" of a startup in order to get high tech experience here in Israel. This idea is worth considering, though not at his company.
Anyway, ten minutes after I get home from the meeting, I call up a contact to set a time to meet. He runs a venture capital fund that funds sustainable businesses/cleantech in the Negev. I tell him about my interests and background, and he then reveals to me that he is in the middle of raising funds for a social venture fund here in Israel. WOW! Now THAT would be a great place to work, and right up my line of interest.
So, now I'm saying: "why hasn't someone offered me a job at a social venture fund in Israel doing some exciting work to change Israel?"
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is great, and so validating. I think that careers are in a constant ebb and flow and you are starting to get in the flow, so ride the crest and surf into the beach!
Post a Comment