Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Truly bi-lingual

Silvia was talking to her grandmother on the phone tonight. As she was telling a story about her latest visit to the zoo, she switched into Hebrew when she was recounting something she said. I looked up and reminded her that her grandmother doesn't speak Hebrew. She said "oh" and then again, in Hebrew, said what she had said, only now she translated it into English afterwards. She did this several times and I realized that she wasn't translating what she was saying, she was saying it again how she would say it in English. In Hebrew, the exact translation would be that she told the big goat to go away so she could feed the little goat. In English, she said "I told the big goat, no no no no no no no, I'm feeding the little goat." She was saying the same thing two different ways. It was really astonishing to realize that she is truly bilingual, not just translating from one to the other.

No comments: