Purim in Jerusalem this year lasted three days.
Why? Well, firstly, Purim is always two days in Jerusalem because it is a walled city. That is the answer I get when I ask. Do all walled cities celebrate it for two days? Good question, let me know the answer if you find out. This year Purin began Thursday night at sundown, which meant that Shabbat would have been day two. But apparently that's not o.k. so the second day of Purim (called Shushan Purim) was actually on Sunday. Basically, Purim lasted three days.
There were a few very cool things about being in Jerusalem for Purim, though:
-seeing kids all over the city walking around in the most original, creative costumes all day on Friday and Sunday.
-People delivering the Purim gifts (the "Mishloach Manot" of the previous posting,) walking the streets with bags full of food and treats. I went running on Sunday morning, and the energy in the town felt different -- maybe it's what Christmas feels like for Christians (the gift-giving part) -- I don't know, but everyone was essentially delivering friendship gifts. It was cool. We sent some as well to our friends.
-the sweet craziness of the children's megillah reading at the temple was wonderful. After each section of the megilla, a saxophone player would lead the crowd in a Purim song.
Also, Aaron and I met on Purim, as some of you may remember who were there. This holiday has had a special significance for uphotoss ever since.
PURIM SAMEACH!!
I've posted the family photos, and one of friends who came by to deliver us mishloach manot on Sunday. It was super sweet of them!
2 comments:
fonzie?!?!?! I don't remember him having a beard. or glasses.
The typical answer to the question of which walled cities celebrate Shushan Purim is that they have to be walled cities which were also walled cities in the time of Joshua...how "they" decide which cities count, I have no idea. (I love reading your blog!)
Post a Comment