I've received a couple of emails asking about the reaction here in Israel to the Annapolis peace summit. Truth be told, most of what I know I've read in the papers. None of the protests intersected with our lives here.
However, there was one moment when I was riding the bus that I think summarizes how most non-extreme Israelis see things. I overheard the bus driver talking to several of the passengers about the summit on Monday morning before it had even started. Their comments were fairly mundane, mostly thankful that Syria was going to participate. But as I listened, I realized that there was an aura of hope in the bus. Everyone who was listening seemed to be radiating hope that maybe, by some miracle, these talks could move us forward. No one was expressing their political beliefs, but everyone was hoping for change. It made me realize what it must have felt like in the early 90's after the Oslo accords. I hope it feels that way again soon, but with better results.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment