Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green

Yesterday I walked to my supermarket, which is part of the large SuperSol supermarket chain. I brought a green canvas shopping back with me for my groceries and, as I was just picking up a few things, put all my items in the canvas bag.

The green canvas bag that I brought with me has the SuperSol logo and, I presume, was distributed by SuperSol to encourage shoppers to use it in place of plastic bags.

I finish my shopping and go to the checkout line. I take every item separately out of my bag onto the conveyor belt, but group same items together on the belt (e.g. apples together, lemons together, etc.) This will, I believe, make it easier for the checkout lady. After weighing a bunch of apples, and then grapefruits, this conversation ensues:

Her: Why don't you use plastic bags? It is much easier.

Me: I have a green bag here.

Her: Plastic bags are much easier. Why do you do this?

Me: Plastic bags are not easier for the Earth. Plastic is not good for the Earth.

She grimaces, and then barks out the total amount for me to pay. I presume I've made her day much harder than it had to be.

I don't get it: I'm actually using the bag that SuperSol distributed, but the employee is encouraging me to further erode the planet. Good job with corporate communication, eh? It seems that the canvas bag is a ploy to seem eco-friendly but that's about it.

My reaction: I'm voting for the Green Party next week in the national elections.

2 comments:

Religion and State in Israel said...

When I go to Mega supermarket for a 'mega' buy - I bring an armful of 8 green bags. Works great.

PS - Did you mean the Green Movement-Meimad?

Joel
Religion and State in Israel

Anonymous said...

The green plastic bag is to replace the bags at checkout, not the bags you get at the fruit and vegetable section. :)