Yesterday, I had my driving test to transfer my license from the states to here. I was actually a little concerned about it. After everything I went through to actually get to this point, I figured I had done my penance, but then I started hearing stories. My niece, who is an excellent driver, was failed in her test for reasons including: she stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the street out of a crosswalk and she failed to cut off an approaching car when pulling out in traffic. Another friend, who actually ended up taking the test with me, had failed the first time for reasons I don't know, but he is my age and also has been driving for 20 years.
I consider myself a decent driver - I drove buses for five years in college then worked as a car mechanic for four, so I have a good sense of both the road and the cars themselves. But still, I was suddenly worried that my Boston habits would somehow cause some mysterious problem for me.
The night before the test, I went to bed early around 8 pm. I couldn't keep myself awake. Then I woke up at 11:30 pm - refreshed and ready for a new day after my nice nap... I think my body was still on Boston time and thought a nice sleep from 1-4 is a nap. So I got to the test having slept only about 6 hours of interrupted sleep.
In this country, you have to take the test in a car that is owned by a driving instructor. I met the instructor 10 minutes before the test, and consequently had never driven the car before my test. Thankfully, it was a VW Golf, which I have driven many times in the past. He had offered to give me a lesson for the hour before the test to let me get used to the car, but I turned him down. He wasn't being a nice guy, he charges 90 NIS for each lesson.
And, contrary to all the stories I'd heard, the driving tester was a really nice guy. We talked through the whole test which consisted of me driving around for 10 minutes, and my friend for 5. In another Israeli idiosyncrasy, the tester calls your driving instructor at the end of the day to give you the results. I think it's to prevent arguments and conflict because if the instructor failed someone, I'm sure that person would try to argue the point.
So at 4 pm, I finally heard that we both passed. And was much relieved.
Today I went back to the licensing agency to get my temporary license, and then to the post office to pay the fee. Sometime in the next two months, I'll get my real license.
Cost for initial paperwork: 90 NIS (trip to downtown for eye exam: 2 hours)
Health exam: No charge (30 minutes)
Processing paperwork: no charge (wait in line at registry: 45 minutes)
Get another health form, then fight with them about health issues (3 hours)
Fee for taking the test: 60 NIS (20 minutes at post office to pay)
Cost for using the car during the test: 300 NIS (1 hour)
Fee for getting the license itself: 381 NIS (wait in lines at registry, then post office: 1 hour)
Total: 831 NIS ($243)
Time of my life wasted jumping through bureaucratic hoops: 8 hours 35 minutes
Smile of victory actually getting this accomplished: Priceless
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment