Wednesday, October 10, 2007

you never know when your large appliance is listening...

As many of you know, since we've gotten here we've replaced our refrigerator and our washer and dryer. All of the appliances are about 14 years old which is when my sister made Aliyah (moved to Israel and became a citizen) and got tax breaks on them.

The other day I noticed that one of the burners on the gas cook-top had the peculiar habit of putting itself almost out when it was turned up to high. Most of the flames would disappear and only a tiny flame would remain until it was turned down to medium. The stove is in pretty poor condition and looks like it hasn't been treated with love by the past ten years of renters.

We happened to talk to my Mother that night and I mentioned to her that the stove was "going to die soon" and was probably going to need to be replaced at some point soon. "Oy" she said.

The day after that Debra calls me and asks if I know why the electronic ignitor on the stove top is no longer working. She would press the button and no spark was made. But, she said, the oven works fine so I'll bake. By the time I got home the oven didn't work either. All of the electrical parts of the stove have stopped working. We can still cook if we light with a match, but no oven.

When I called my electrician friend, he told me it's not worth it to even have someone look at it, as it's so old. I guess 13 years is old for a stove here.

So be careful what you say around your large appliances - they might be listening and take offense at what you say!

1 comment:

Susie said...

In the book "Icebound", based on the true story of a female doctor who went to the South Pole and wound up treating herself for breast cancer, she talked about a friend, "Big" who was in charge of the mechanics of all motorized vehicles. When he got sick none of the them would run. So, you might have something there.
Love, Susie